Adur & Worthing Councils are working to create a programme of civic and community celebrations. Over the coming months these plans will develop and include the following examples:
- Green Canopy Projects:
- An English Oak Tree will be planted by each civic head in Adur and Worthing on 11th March 2022.
- Platinum Jubilee Memorial Woodland areas in both Adur and Worthing will be planted and established in 2022. These woodland areas will be a lasting memorial and celebration enhancing our greenspaces for recreation and wellbeing plus assisting the Councils in their work to enhance local biodiversity and achieve carbon net zero.
- In partnership with the Woodland Trust, local schools are being contacted to take part in the canopy project, planting trees and hedges.
- Support for Communities, groups and charitable organisations is also available for tree planting and further details are provided below.
- See below for: The Queen’s Green Canopy and Funding for Community Projects
- Jubilee Seafront Gallery:
- This project involves the commissioning of a series of Platinum Jubilee themed displays at the Seafront Gallery in Worthing over the summer season. The successfully commissioned artist’s approach could take many forms and we are encouraging artists to engage passers-by in a multi-dimensional way and this could include linking to media online.
- Thursday 2nd June 2022:
- Highdown Gardens: The Queen has connections with Highdown Gardens, and following the programme of extensive development during 2021 we are exploring the possibility of hosting a dawn torch lighting event that could be linked to the Beacon lighting later in the day.
- Town Criers have been invited to announce a Proclamation on the 2nd June in the afternoon. Worthing has a designated Town Crier who can fulfil this role in both Adur and Worthing
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons: Beacons will be lit at 9:45pm with a service of celebration in both Adur and Worthing, attended by Civic Heads, Councillors and VIP guests.
- Friday 3rd June and Saturday 4th June 2022:
- On Friday the 3rd June in Worthing’s Steyne Gardens a Jubilee concert will be held with an accompanying light show, celebrating popular music during the 70 years of The Queen’s reign. On the following evening, the 4th June, this will be followed by a second evening of film and music and a Jubilee finale (ticketed commercial event).
- Sunday 5th June 2022:
The Big Lunch campaign will see many communities taking the opportunity to come together to host a street party and celebration.
- The Community Street Party: application process is already in place and road closure fees have been waived further details are provided below: Organising a Street Party.
- Street Party on the Prom: Previously held in 2012; there are plans to host a street party on Worthing promenade inviting local residents to come together to celebrate.
- Shoreham Vintage Fair: A new four day event will take place over the Jubilee weekend offering Adur residents an opportunity to celebrate together on Adur Recreation Ground with entertainment, a Jubilee afternoon tea, stalls and outdoor cinema.
- Jubilee Town Dressing:
- An emblem specifically designed for the Platinum Jubilee has been created and more details on how to use this are provided below. In both Adur and Worthing flag poles will fly with either the Union Flag or the national Jubilee Emblem flag. Bunting and banners for shopping centres are also planned.
- Worthing Theatres and Museum (WTAM):
Worthing Theatres and Museum are working on a programme of events throughout the summer including:
- For families, the ‘Queen’s Knickers’ is programmed for two performances at the Pavilion on Sunday 26th June 2022. (Details to be confirmed nearer to the time).
See: What’s on – on the WTAM website
- The children’s workshops at the Museum throughout June are themed around Her Majesty. The museum is also working on a display of royal artefacts from the collections, with items currently being selected. (Details to be confirmed nearer to the time).
See: Museum events – on the WTAM website
- As part of the Queen’s Canopy, plans are underway to plant two trees in the planters at the front of the Assembly Hall.
- A number of Jubilee linked films will be screened at the Connaught. (Titles to be confirmed nearer to the time).
See: Films – on the WTAM website
The country is preparing to celebrate with a number of national events:
- October 2021 to March 2022:
- The Queen’s Green Canopy: The Queen is inviting people, organisations, towns and cities to plant a tree for the Jubilee.
See also: The Queen’s Green Canopy below
- Thursday 2nd June 2022:
- The Queen’s Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour): The Queen’s official birthday, usually held on the second Saturday in June.
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons: The United Kingdom’s long tradition of celebrating Royal Jubilees, Weddings and Coronations with the lighting of beacons will be continued to mark the Platinum Jubilee.
- Friday 3rd June 2022:
- Service of Thanksgiving: A Service of Thanksgiving for The Queen’s reign will be held at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Saturday 4th June 2022:
- The Derby at Epsom Downs: Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by Members of the Royal Family, will attend the Derby at Epsom Downs.
- Platinum Party at the Palace: The BBC will stage and broadcast a special live concert from Buckingham Palace Members of the public will be invited to apply to attend this special event and details of the ballot for UK residents to secure audience tickets will be released in due course.
- Sunday 5th June 2022:
- The Big Jubilee Lunch: The Big Lunch has encouraged communities to celebrate their connections and get to know each other a little better, coming together in a spirit of fun and friendship. In 2022 The Big Lunch will bring the Jubilee celebrations into the heart of every community.
See also: The Big Jubilee Lunch below.