Saturday 4th January – Class 1
– Learn how to follow a basic pattern.
– Take measurements to establish the size that will be best to follow when starting your pattern.
– Cut the pattern out in the chosen size.
– Understanding darts and notches on your pattern.
– Discuss fabric choices for chosen garments. Which fabric would work best and how much to purchase.
Please bring fabric to next workshop.
Saturday 11th January – Class 2
– Understanding notches and darts in more depth.
– Learn about graining (which way to position fabric when pattern cutting).
– Learn the difference of cutting on the ‘grainline’ and on the ‘bias’.
– Position pattern to avoid fabric wastage.
– Keep fabric flat and in line with the pattern whilst cutting out.
Please bring your chosen fabric to this workshop.
Saturday 18th January – Class 3
– Learn the fundamentals of a sewing machine.
– Learn how to thread and wind up bobbin.
– How to make sure tension is correct for the fabric you will be using, and you understand your sewing machine.
– Sewing darts on your pattern correctly.
– Pinning notches together and start sewing.
Saturday 25th January – Class 4
– Continue sewing pattern pieces together.
– Any questions/issues about specific garments can be answered.
– Look at Garment finishings
– Understand the fundamentals of Garment finishings.
Please note all tools and equipment will be provided by the museum. Anyone taking part is more than welcome to bring their own sewing machine, dressmaking scissors, pins etc if they would like to. Previous basic sewing machine skills are useful but not essential.