The Highdown was built in 1820 as the family home of the Lyons family in a beautiful spot that enjoys views towards the downs on one side and the sea to the other. In 1909 the house and surrounding grounds were bought by Major Stern and his wife. From that date until Sir Frederick’s death in 1967 they created and developed the present gardens, in and around a former chalk pit. In 1970 the gardens were kindly passed to Worthing Borough Council who since the mid 1970s have restored and managed them to the Sterns’ original design including the propagation of their original stock. This garden, now called Highdown Gardens sits next to our pub and is a wonderful placed to while away a few hours (building up an appetite).
A well-stocked bar now sits in the heart of the building, offering an array of local ales and a back bar crammed with lines of gins and malts. Some of our rooms are wooden panelled, others have large casement windows to allow the light to flood in and some are small and intimate – so somewhere perfect for any occasion. We have a Private Dining room upstairs for small gatherings of around 18 and 13 beautifully furnished bedrooms if you would like to join us overnight. Outside there is a terrace to drink and dine in the sunshine and a much loved Tea Room for those wishing for a spot of tea, coffee or a light snack to accompany them on their walk around the gardens, or for somewhere to rest a while after they have visited them.